Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Exciting Treats :)

Today is one of those days.......
where nothing could curb my sweet tooth, except.....
Apple and Blueberry Crumbles!!!!! :))


I've wanted bake my own apple and blueberry crumble recipe for a long long time! Finally :)
I only have a toaster oven in my place, so I am very worried that they would not turn out right. 
They are super delicious, packed with fiber, no saturated fat, and relatively low in sugar.
I had a pretty hectic and grumpy day today, so this is the perfect treat.

I served it with half a vanilla greek yogurt, but definitely serve it with some frozen yogurt, ice cream if you wish.

Here's the recipe:

Jenn's  Apple and Blueberry Crumble (2 Small Ramekins)

Filling:
1 big apple, chopped roughly into chunks (I used McIntosh)
1/3 cup blueberries (about a handful)
1 tsp stevia 
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp psyllium husk 
squeeze of lemon juice

Topping:
4    Tbsp  rolled oats
2.5 Tbsp of almond flour
2    Tbsp of light olive oil (you could use melted butter/ margarine if you want)
1    tsp honey
1/4 tsp of baking powder

1. Combine all ingredients for the filling. Divide the filling evenly to 2 ramekins 
2. Combine all the topping until you get a dry, crumbly mixture, filled to ramekins. 
3. Baked @375F 30 minutes, or until lightly golden brown and bubbly.

Last but certainly not the least!

DIG IN!!

My secret to this recipe is the PHYSLLIUM HUSK
1. It adds insoluble fiber, without changing the taste. 
2. Because of its water absorbing properties, it's a perfect substitution for cornstartch/flour (refined carbs) for some original recipes outthere. Physllium husk thickens the juices perfectly, not too runny, not too dry.

UPDATE: Since I'm not a certified nutritionist by any means, please check out the toneitup girls for more nurtitional benefits of psyllium husk! This recipe is actually inspired by Karena & Katrina, sweet and lovely girls! 

I managed to save second one for tomorrow. It was really hard though hahaha.   :))


Tip of the day:
Whenever I decided to treat myself at home with something like vanilla greek yogurt or frozen yogurt, I always buy 1 single serving, instead of getting a HUGE TUB. All the remaining will just be extra temptation, and I hate to waste food.   

Hope you enjoy and have a wonderful day!
Jenn

1 comment: